Saturday, March 8, 2014

More from March 2005

This day started off quietly, almost nobody else around, a blue jay here and there,
a couple of titmice,
And then I came to a space with birds in the trees, loads of birds. At first I didn't know what I was seeing until my brain turned on. Cedar waxwings, oodles of them all gorging on seed pods.  I stood and watched for hours, leaning against a tree for support.  No fear of my presence. They wanted the food. I never moved, just stood and observed. No talking. No flash. Me and a horde of waxwings. Magic time.
The only time I stopped was when I felt a tug at my pocket. A squirrel had come around the back of the tree I was leaning on and was picking peanuts out of my pocket.  Gutsy little thing.
_________________________________________________

No comments: