Tuesday, October 20, 2020

The nuthatch

I spotted the kinglet fairly low in the tree. It was quiet and damp in the garden. I was happy to see anything.
The kinglet then gave me the "get lost" signal and flew into the flower bush.

She was my guiding angel, because out of the corner of my eye I spotted movement at the base of the next tree. Slowly I turned to investigate.
Oh, my God! A red breasted nuthatch working the soil for food. These are tiny bids, about 4 1/2". I've seen them before, but never like this. The nuthatch couldn't have cared less that I was watching. This was food time, think Fresh Direct. Food in the soil, in the bark.












When she had enough she climbed up the tree and flew off.  Maybe she'll be back, but if not I've had my 7th Heaven moment for this migration.
 

No comments: