Saturday, June 13, 2020

Courtship

You can't make an appointment to see something like this. This happened practically at my feet and lasted about six minutes. Pigeons mate for life. The courtship can include preening and copulating. As part of the ritual the male may offer the female food. It is his way of showing his intention of looking after his mate. I've seen all this but never as intimately. I became aware of the pigeons when the female began preening. I didn't know she was the female until the behavior continued. There were about ten pigeons in the area, no two alike.
The dark female paid attention to the pinkish larger pigeon, the male.
He offered her food, often mistaken for "kissing". Food is stored in the crop of the bird. There was a lot of "talking" between the two.
Being offered more food.
Beautiful male.
Eventually there was a loud  noise from the avenue and all the pigeons flew off. I'd love to see this pair's nest. I'll recognize them if I see them again. They were oblivious to my presence.  They might nest on a balcony or a window ledge. They're rock doves and prefer to nest on ledges.

No comments: