Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Feeding lessons

The kids will fledge soon. Late afternoon, nest observation.
The rear of the nest is bolstered with masks.
As I was watching I heard baby talk  behind my back. This area of garden gets dappled light at end of afternoon. Lots of "feed me!" calls. I turned and couldn't believe it, exceptional, at least three families of older fledgling with papas. I've seen this with doves, never with robins. The young robins have the speckled breasts. The adults, males in this case, have the solid breasts.
These kids have to learn how to look for food and what to do with it if they find food.
Sometimes there's good food under leaves. First skill learned, hunting.
Papa to the rescue.
Wow! A worm, but what do you do with it?
It's very hard trying to get pictures with a very heavy camera, wearing  a mask and laughing your head off. Kid thinks worm is a jump rope.
Finally figured out a worm is something to eat not play with.
Sparrows also catching food.
I'll probably never again see such a robin family picnic. They don't do this. Amazed.

No comments: