Tuesday, December 15, 2009

On the prowl

I saw the Cooper's hawk fly down from its high tree perch, followed the flight with my eyes and determined the general area where it might be hunting. As I came around the path there was a swirl. It had been down in the leaves and my approach flushed it out. Had I known I would have stayed clear. It was probably hunting for very small mammals or a sparrow. It flew to a nearby branch, a little above eye-level for me. I stood stock still and watched the concentration.


Those talons look like mighty lethal tools.




Off to a higher perch

I didn't stay to see if the cooper's caught a meal. I knew it would. It was in its general hunting area. There will be more about the cooper's hawks. There's more than one wintering in the park.
________________________________

No comments: