Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Gulp!

It's nice starting off the morning with a surprise peewee watching for a bug brunch.
This female chestnut-sided warbler was doing the same.  Dale helped me ID this bird. I knew what it wasn't, but didn't know what it was.
I do know the hard-to-photograph Black-and-white warbler.  I was in the right place at the right time. Getting a good picture of the B/W is very hard. I get maybe one good shot every three years.
What happened next blew my mind.  The B/W reached into the crevice in the bark and extracted a bug.  B/W flew to a small branch near the ground with this vast bug.
I'm sure it was a cicada.  The images show the story.
Finally the bug went down.
Does this look like a well fed bird?
I'll probably never see this again. Bird was there. Cicada was there. I was there with camera.  This took at least 30 seconds, very long in bird meal time.  Bird sat for a bit before flying off.  If I swallowed a whole lobster (human comparison) I'd sit for a bit too.
_______________________________________

No comments: