Friday, December 25, 2020

Alice in Wonderland, Part 1

The Statue of Alice in Wonderland, sculpted by Jose de Creeft, 1959, stands at the north end of the Conservatory Lake in Central Park, approximately East 76th Street. It was conceived as a statue that children would be drawn to. All of the images posted in this blog and the next were shot in 1985 and 1986. There is no longer a privacy issue as all the subjects are now adults. I do not know any of the children. I would drop by with a junky camera and lens, diffusion filter on lens and watch the fun. It was and is always endearing. Only in snowy weather and  intensely hot weather is Alice without company.
 
                                               I know Alice loves this.  Look at her face.



I was asked to shoot a musical ensemble, 1969 if I remember correctly.  I can't find the negatives, but will keep searching.  Most of the musicians were drawn from the NYC Opera orchestra. Julius Rudel and Judith Somogi are in this group. I know where the negatives should be, but they aren't there.

Sometimes  the statue was a one-step-at-a-time experience. I watched this enchanting child for a while. All she did was go up and down while holding onto the mushroom.




                                                             Yentas. More pix tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My child, now 25, was repeatedly chased from Alice by park police. What we have here is a failure to communicate.