Tuesday, July 9, 2019

The swimming pool

I thought I'd seen everything. This was a first. Mourning dove taking a Sitzbath in our little fountain. I ran upstairs for the camera, dashed back, dove still there. Totally unusual. Beautiful, but strange.
Dove sat for over an hour. My pal from downstairs said dove had been bathing the previous day as well.
Arrival of baby starling. First time at the water. Wants to get to water. How does one do this?
Oh, good grief!  Stupid Starling uses dove as a stepping stone.
Couldn't believe my eyes. Kept taking pictures.
Finally dove begins to dislodge starling.
Dove is able to walk and flap wings. Why doesn't it waddle or fly off? Water logged? Injured?

I watched dove for a while. It settled in the rocks for a while. Decided to check up on dove a little later. This us abnormal behavior.  Meanwhile starling played in the water. Maybe dove is just cold from sitting so long in the water, longer than 90 minutes.   To be continued.

No comments: