Thursday, October 8, 2020

It's a boy!

The black and white warbler is one of the easiest  birds to ID, because it is what it is, though one of my friends insists it's white on black. In 2013 while working with Leslie Day on our book, "A Guide to the Birds of New York City", Leslie asked for a picture of a male B/W. My reaction was, "Say, WHAT???"  All I ever saw was B/W because the bird hunts belly-to-bark.  Never noticed that the male has a black chin. Into my files, hundreds of pictures looking at chins. I finally found two images, both shot in the springtime. Yesterday was very windy. Nothing going on downstairs until my eye caught movement in a tree. Oh, a B/W.  I decided to watch.  Oh my God, a male???? Warblers flit around. Stay still! Give me a chance!  What follows are the bird's antics.And yes, it's a beautiful male of the catch-me-if-you-can variety. First time I've see a  male in the autumn.











 

No comments: