Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Freezing visit









It's obvious that the small birds need the delivered food. They know how to find their own food, but in this frigid weather every little bit extra counts.


I'm astonished and maternally attracted to the little hermit thrush, normally a shy bird, but wanting food willing to wait patiently right by my shoulder. I know this hermit recognizes me. He's not bold like the squirrels who will sit on my shoes, tug my pant legs, even bounce off my backpack. He appears and waits and watches and I talk to him while getting the nut bits out.
There's suet on the side of the tree with cayenne pepper rubbed over it. The birds don't mind the pepper. The squirrels can't tolerate the pepper. More suet for the birds.
_______________________________________

No comments: