Sunday, September 6, 2009

Little catbird










Usually catbirds are illusive, see a perceived threat and fly off. I was climbing up a path when I came upon this young catbird on the fence very close, maybe 6' away. I froze not wanting to startle this sweet youngster. It stayed. Slowly I raised the camera. Click, click. It stayed. Click click click. It stayed. I started whispering, "You're so beautiful. I love you." It stayed. It was obviously in rest mode. It looked around,..... left, right, down. And stayed. I wasn't going to go anywhere. I wanted to really watch this little bird. It's rare getting this close to a catbird. Suddenly the bird opened its mouth and barfed up a big berry. The berry dropped to the ground. A few seconds later a man walked down the path from the other direction and the catbird flew into the bushes. Laugh time. This is not the first time I've seen a young bird spit up. My May 23rd and May 25th blogs show baby robins bringing up food, also late afternoon activity. Is this barfing time for young birds? I'm so happy to have met this little catbird. I hope it finds lots of delicious berries that its little body can easily digest.
_____________________________

No comments: