Sunday, September 19, 2010

Saturday, Part 2- Hummy fun

I picked a spot and didn't move from it. It was a cloudy day, so there was no problem with glaring light or having my brain baked. The hummers came to me,.... not easy, because they duck behind leaves and blossoms, but at least there was a fighting chance to get something different. The perching hummer was Queen of the Heap. Any other hummer that came into her space got chased away. I could hear the warning chatter and the whirr of the wings. The face-offs took place at times around my head. One of these years I'll be able to get a picture of a face-off. For now I just keep on trying.




The Queen of the Heap, Boss Lady.





She'd perch on high and other hummers would try to suck nectar from the lowest level of blossoms. Nothing got by her. Instant spit-fire combats.





It's very hard for me to walk away and come home. The body language, the energy, the grace, the strength, all totally enthralling.
_____________________________

No comments: