Thursday, July 21, 2011

Silly fun

If there had been warblers in the garden they would have been feasting. Gnat swarms. This is a fun photo subject. How do you photograph gnats? While laughing, of course. And with lots of bug repellent sprayed on me and my clothes.












Now that I got that out of my system, time to return to the charm of the robins' nest. They're just about ready to fledge. It's like watching a ballet.




























A few feet from this nest, in the grass there are the remains of a dead rat. I don't know how it came to be dead at that spot. When first seen it still had some flesh on its body and, of course, the long tail. That's how I could ID it. There were already flies on it and a couple of maggots at the tail joint. The next day there was no more flesh. It looked like something that had been run over by a steamroller, totally flat as paper, absorbed into the ground with lots of maggots. I wondered if the parent robin would pluck maggots to feed to the nestlings. The parents were coming right to my feet. I could see what was on the menu for the kids. I didn't see them stop to do a maggot pick-up.











There are workmen putting up scaffolding on the path. These big hulking guys are stopping to watch the robins too. It's kind of nice. They'd never seen a nest before. All their banging doesn't seem to be distressing the kids.


______________________________________

No comments: