Monday, October 12, 2009

The tale of the tail








I've been trying to learn the different kids of sparrows. I know the song and fox sparrows, but have difficulty sorting the rest out. In a corner of Strawberry Field I heard sparrow chatter and decided to stop, take pictures, try and match pictures to the pictures in the bird guide. That's when the adventure began. There was a tail. But who's tail. The grass was tall. How was I going to connect the tail to the rest of the bird. Follow that tail! My brain had kicked in very fast. The only small bird I know with an upward tail is the wren. Had to be a wren, down on the ground, always on the ground. What follows is what I saw, and it was the first time I ever saw a wren up on a branch,..... a bird eye-viewing for potential food??

No comments: