Thursday, April 15, 2010

Delicious

There are worms and there are WORMS. The average catch-consume time can be 1/10 of a second to 3 seconds. I've seen robins yank out worms and reject them, leave them, scoot away. I don't know why. The digital camera records the time a picture is taken, minute-second-fraction of second, so I know how fast the worm goes down.



And then there are the WWWWWOOOOORRRRRMMMMMSSSSS. That's when the fun begins. This monster worm got yanked out. Robin seemed pleased. This worm didn't get sliced- and-diced or pecked, which is usual with a big worm. Robin stayed in one spot and sucked it down. Think strand of spaghetti that has life in it. It wiggled down to the very 1/2 inch. Once detached from the soil the meal took 48 seconds to consume, a new record in my worm-documentation.















Good to the very last inch.

Then what does robin do? Goes and finds another worm.




But eventually even robins get stuffed. "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."
_____________________________________

No comments: