Friday, April 23, 2010

Dining on what????

Posting all this before breakfast. I still can't believe what I saw.
There are hermit thrushes all over the place. I'm beginning to think of them as Pop-Up-Hermits. They eat bugs, gnats, grub,... stuff the robins eat. This one was eating found bread !

The grackles think things through. I've seen this many times. Hard bread gets soaked to soften it up. Brilliant. The only thing is that they also try to soften up acorns.



This stopped me in my tracks. I couldn't make out what the robins had found. There was glistening paper. I could not tell if this was a chocolate bar with nuts, or some kind of lunch meat with bumps in it. Doesn't matter. What counts is that two robins attacked it and gobbled it all up with intensity. When it was totally finished they still searched the grass for one more delicious bit. They tore off chunks and ate it down. What in heaven's name have robins acquired a taste for????







My one pal said we'll know if it was chocolate with nuts when we meet a diabetic robin.
___________________________________________

No comments: