Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Didja? Didja?

I don't usually get caught up in the "what didya see?" frenzy, but today I got snagged. Fortunately, I spent most of the time being guided by Martin who really knows a lot. We talked about past and present and that made the hiking more palatable. I don't like birding competition. I don't care what I see as long as I see something, and for me a worm is as good as an exotic bird. I'll blog the "proper" subjects.... important for today..... and get back to the sillies tomorrow. Today's new birds were the black and white warbler, the blue wing warbler and the savanah sparrow,.... that is, new for this migration.


Oh yes, mustn't omit this oddity, a partially albino house sparrow. This is the kind of subject I enjoy.

The first two savannah sparrows were at Sparrow Rock.


On the way out of the park I stopped at the Bowling Lawn. Two more savannah sparrows, one either a female, or an immature, or one that had been through a storm, -paler color, paler stripes, sort of ratty looking.



The blue winged warbler was up on the rock north of Tanner's Spring. It was high up in the trees, not really a photo situation.

Then I remembered that I had shot the same bird in 2008, much better situation. Everyone was running to see this warbler. I got caught up in the search. Should have waited for next time.

Nick Wagerik was on the path in Shakespeare Garden and pointed out a wasp that was skimming material off the wood that would be used in its nest. I forget what the stuff is called, something like celulite, but not celulite.


A real highlight, total smile time, memory from childhood, a jack-in-the-pulpit.

And finally, the kind of subject I adore, nest-collecting robin. Very serious business.

Next blogs will be back to the mundane, my choice,..... with special odd lots thrown in.
________________________________

No comments: